ART 1031 - Photography 1: Darkroom and Digital
Hours/Week: Lecture 1 Lab 4
Course Description: This course is designed as an exploration of photography as a means of visual communication and creative expression. Topics include an introduction to the basics of film and digital cameras, black and white darkroom practices, digital editing software, and inkjet printing. Projects address a range of design, aesthetic, and conceptual issues fundamental to the art of photography. Strong emphasis is on the development of both a technical foundation and a critical awareness of the medium as a creative tool.
6 Humanities/Fine Arts
Recommendation: ART 1024
1. Introduction of photography as a creative tool
- Formal elements specific to the medium of photography
- Portrait (interpretive and descriptive)
- Landscape (ethically evaluative and aesthetically evaluative)
- Final projects (proposals and artist statements
2. Technical Basics
a. Introduction to the of basics film and digital cameras
b. Film developing and printing
c. Editing software and inkjet printing
d. Finishing and presentation
3. Contemporary Issues/Criticism
- Art photography and photography in art (traditional vs. contemporary)
- Visual literacy
- Controversy in art and media
- Reading and discussion on “What is criticism?”
- Writing assignment describing a photograph
- Subject matter and subject
- Types of photographs
- create images utilizing photographic processes.
- demonstrate effective solutions to creative assignments applying knowledge of the materials, research of contemporary issues in art making, and creative problem solving skills.
- apply a basic understanding of technical elements of photography, such as exposure, film development, editing digital files, darkroom and inkjet printing, and methods of presentation.
- demonstrate an ability to critique artworks, utilizing terms common to art.
- articulate (verbally and through writing) an understanding of formal and theoretical concepts within art, specifically within the area of photography.
- demonstrate an understanding of craftsmanship and presentation methods in their creative work.
- identify various exemplary works of contemporary art as well as works of historical significance.
Competency 1 (1-6)
06. 01. Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of works in the arts and humanities.
06. 02. Understand those works as expressions of individual and human values within an historical and social context.
06. 03. Respond critically to works in the arts and humanities.
06. 04. Engage in the creative process or interpretive performance.
06. 05. Articulate an informed personal reaction to works in the arts and humanities.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)