Nov 30, 2023
AST 1065 - Electrical Principles Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course covers electrical terms, what electricity is, what it does as it flows through a circuit, series and parallel circuits, Ohms Law, how to connect and use a DVOM, battery theory, and how to test batteries using a VAT-40. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1055 , AST 1075 , AST 1085 , and AST 1095 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher.
- Electrical Terms
- Circuits Components Series Parallel Series Parallel Circuit Principles
- Electrical Principles Magnetism Electromagnetic Induction Electromagnetic Induction
- Ohms Law Total resistance of a series circuit Total resistance of a parallel circuit Total resistance of a series parallel circuit
- Meter Connections in Circuits. Measure voltage Measure ohms measure amperage
- Construct Circuits. Design circuits Construct series circuits Construct parallel circuits Construct series parallel circuits
- Trace Circuits on Wiring Diagrams. Horn Parking and Headlight Turn and Brake Lights Ignition Starting
- Electrical Symbols
- Battery Construction and Components
- Battery Theory and Operation
- Safety Procedures
- Battery Test Procedures
- Specific gravity tests
- Load test
- 3 minute charge test
- Test Result Interpretation
- Battery Charger Procedures
- Jumper Cable Procedures
- Perform NATEF tasks during lab and shop times
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- follow all safety procedures and precautions.
- connect battery chargers and jumper cables correctly.
- perform NATEF tasks related to this course
- define electrical terms and principles.
- identify battery construction and operation.
- construct series, parallel and series parallel circuits.
- trace circuits on vehicle wiring diagrams.
- identify electrical symbols.
- perform DVOM and VAT 40 tests.
- interpret test results.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)