ADCO 2010 - Addiction Counseling Assessment
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course addresses the screening, intake, assessment, treatment planning, and the multicultural aspects of Substance Related Disorders, case management, referral, record keeping, reports, consultation and professional conduct. Students focus on Substance Related Disorders assessment and criteria including the Six Dimensions of treatment planning according to 245G. This course meets the academic course work requirement for Minnesota Statute 2005 Chapter 148C and Minnesota Rule 4747.
Prerequisite(s): ADCO 1020 with a grade of C or higher.
- Relapse prevention
- Assessment of the patient
- Assessment treatment special population
- Patient placement criteria
2. Review and discuss Matrix
- Review Matrix
3. Treatment planning according to Statute 245G
- What is Statute 245G
- Overview Statute 245G
- ASAM Six Dimensions
- Severity risk scale
- Goals and methods
- Treatment planning
- Team meeting
4. Assessment of addictive behavior in:
- Ethnic minority cultures
- Alcohol problems
- Cocaine abuse dependence
- Amphetamine use disorders
- Opioid use disorders
- Cannabis use disorders
- Club drugs, hallucinogens, inhalants and steroid use and misuse
5. Case management for Substance Related Disorder
- Why case management
- Case management brief history
- Definition and function
6. Reports, records and consultation
- Adherence to applicable laws, regulations, and agency policies in reference to client information
- Consultation with appropriate resources
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- conduct an interview based on appropriate criteria for the field.
- document an assessment summary from the interview.
- conduct an interview using a variety of screening tools.
- explain various assessment methods for addictive behavior in ethnic-minority cultures.
- produce case examples in the six American Society of Alcohol Medicine (ASAM) dimension format.
- devise a comprehensive assessment process that is sensitive to age, gender, racial and ethnic culture issues and disabilities.
- outline case management activities.
- formulate reports and relevant records integrating information to facilitate the continuum of care.
- create a plan for effective treatment service in collaboration with other professionals.
- document assessment findings and treatment recommendations.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)