Aug 14, 2020
ACCT 1020 - Payroll Procedures Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course covers the numerous laws pertaining to employment practice and compensation as well as computations and payment of salaries and wages and related taxes. Topics include employment recordkeeping requirements, preparation of the payroll register, individual earnings records, tax reports, and other forms required by government agencies. The accounting procedures necessary to properly prepare accounting transactions are also covered.
Prerequisite(s): ACCT 1010 , or ACCT 2020 or concurrent enrollment.
- Need for Payroll Records
- Wages, Salaries, Overtime Pay
- Social Security Tax Laws and Filing Requirements
- Social Security Tax Forms
- Federal Income Tax Withholding Laws, Methods, Statements, and Returns
- Federal Tax Deposits
- Unemployment Tax Calculations (Federal and State) Reports and Payments
- Payroll Activity and Journalize and Post Payroll Transactions
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- explain the need for payroll records.
- compute wages, salaries, overtime pay.
- explain Social Security tax laws and filing requirements.
- prepare Social Security tax forms.
- explain federal income tax withholding laws.
- prepare statements, and returns.
- prepare federal tax deposits.
- explain unemployment tax calculations (federal and state).
- prepare reports and payments.
- analyze payroll activity.
- journalize and post payroll transactions.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)