Sep 18, 2020
EMS 2012 - Pediatric Advanced Life Support Instructor Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture 0.5Lab 1
Course Description: This course is designed to prepare individuals to become instructors in pediatric advanced life support (PALS). Upon successful completion of the PALS instructor course, instructor candidates will be able to teach a PALS course using the video and lesson maps in the PALS course instructor materials; and will obtain American Heart Association PALS Instructor certification.
Prerequisite(s): EMS 2002 or current PALS certification. Completion of EMS 1010 with current certification or current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider. Students must possess current certification or licensure as a paramedic (EMT-P), registered nurse (RN), medical moctor (MD), doctor of osteopathy (DO), respiratory therapist (RT), dentist (DDS), or physician’s assistant (PA).
Recommendation: One year as an advanced life support (ALS) provider.
- BLS skills testing
- Competency test
- Core case simulations
- Core instructor course
- Course monitoring
- Following lesson maps
- Instructor materials
- Instructor renewal
- Lesson maps
- Overview of core case discussions and simulations
- Overview of pediatric assessment
- PALS course design
- PALS course outline
- PALS science update
- PALS start
- Provider course prerequisites
- Putting it all together
- Respiratory emergencies
- Resuscitation team concept
- Rhythm disturbances/electrical therapy
- Room set up
- Self-directed training and blended learning
- Technology and equipment
- Training center specifics
- Vascular access
- Written test
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- explain AHA and Training Center policies.
- demonstrate effective remediation techniques.
- guide and evaluate students during skill stations according to the PALS skills testing checklists.
- instruct on the team concept of PALS management.
- use a lesson map to instruct a PALS class.
- organize a PALS course.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)