Sep 18, 2020
EMSP 1265 - Neurological Trauma Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture 0.5Lab 1
Course Description: : This course provides the paramedic student with the concepts, theory, and skills to effectively assess and manage a trauma patient with a neurological injury. Students will synthesize material learned in simulated scenarios and advanced skills evaluations. Obtaining ITLS or PHTLS Advanced certification is a component of this course. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): EMSP 1260 with a grade of C or higher; Minnesota Human Services background study with no restrictions; current AHA BLS for the Healthcare Provider certification; current State EMT certification; current healthcare insurance.
Recommendation: Basic word processing skills.
NNeurological Trauma overview
- Assessment and management
- Trauma scoring
- Rapid transport and destination issues Nervous System Trauma
- Cauda equina syndrome
- Nerve root injury
- Peripheral nerve injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Spinal shock
- Brown-Sequard Syndrome
- Penetrating neck trauma
- Spine trauma
- Dislocations, subluxations
- Sprains, strains
- Blast injuries Hazardous Waste
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- apply trauma scoring to the trauma patient.
- demonstrate clinical assessment and management of a multi-system trauma patient with a neurological injury.
- demonstrate clinical assessment and management of various trauma patients.
- demonstrate safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- demonstrate support of the patient’s emotional reaction to an acute neurological injury.
- explain the psychological impact on a patient with an acute neurological injury.
- integrate assessment findings with principles of epidemiology and pathophysiology to formulate a field impression and implement a comprehensive treatment plan for the trauma patient with a neurological injury.
- select the mode of transport for the trauma patient.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)