Dec 07, 2021
FRTA 2096 - Hazardous Materials Technician Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2Lab 2
Course Description: This course focuses on hazardous materials incident response. It is designed to provide public and private sector emergency response personnel with a logical, building-block system for managing hazardous materials emergencies. It begins at the point where first responders recognize that they are, in fact, dealing with a hazardous materials emergency event when the specific hazardous materials have not been identified.
Prerequisite(s): FRTA 1091 , FRTA 1092 , FRTA 1095 or equivalent state certification
- Hazardous Materials Emergency Planning Process
- Site Management and Scene Setup
- Chemical Assessment
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Potential Course and Harm of the Incident
- Strategic Goals
- Tactical Operations
- Site Safety Plan
- Scene and Personal Safety
- Action Plans - Evaluation and Review
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- assess tactical options.
- decontaminate personnel exposed to hazardous materials.
- describe the Eight Step Process and its application.
- determine an Incident Action Plan.
- explain how to terminate the incident.
- explain safety precautions required at the hazardous materials emergency scene.
- explain the Hazardous Materials Management System.
- identify hazardous materials.
- initiate and maintain Incident Command System (ICS).
- select and implement appropriate mitigation procedure for a variety of vessels.
- select appropriate personal protective equipment specific to incident.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)