Dec 08, 2021
HLTH 1040 - Success Over Stress Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture 2Lab None
Course Description: This course covers how to conquer stress, increase happiness, and improve your resilience by understanding stress and improving your coping skills. Empower yourself to manage stress in your college life and help others cope with stress. This course dissects the topic of stress in order to provide a clear understanding of its causes, effects, and consequences and provide resources to manage stress more effectively. The topic of stress will be approached from a holistic health perspective with the impact of stress on all aspects of life considered.
- Definition of Stress
- Relaxation techniques
- Unique stressors of college
- Sources of stress: time, academics, and money
- Interpersonal and environmental stress
- Coping with grief, loss, and trauma
- Unhealthy coping
- Social support and spirituality
- Eustress and distress
- The stress process
- Signs and symptoms of stress
- Coping with stress
- Healthy lifestyle for stress prevention
- Campus Resources
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- define the concepts of stress, perception, strain, long-term outcomes, coping and relaxation.
- explain the components of the stress process.
- identify the potential harmful effects of stress, including physical, emotional, psychological, occupational and societal effects.
- list the leading sources of stress for college students.
- describe best practices for addressing interpersonal conflicts, academic stress, financial stress and effective management of time.
- describe effective means for coping with grief, loss, and trauma.
- explain mindfulness and the benefits of practicing mindfulness.
- recognize the relationships between unresolved stress, depression, and anxiety.
- assess the impact of various lifestyle choices on one¿s potential for and perception of stress.
- describe the relationship between resilience, altruism, and happiness and discuss the impact each of these concepts has on the perception and experience of stress.
- discuss the role of social support and spirituality in managing and coping with stress.
- explain the various coping techniques for stress.
- identify and access appropriate campus resources that can help students with concerns related to stress, mental health, time management, health issues, and other concerns.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)