Dec 08, 2021
HORT 2025 - Horticulture Operations Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3Lab None
Course Description: In this course students will explore the greenhouse and nursery industry through classroom activities and field trips to local greenhouses and nurseries. Students will examine greenhouse structures, mechanical systems, and specialized equipment used for harvesting and storage. Field growing and container production of nursery stock will be covered. Production costs, revenue projections, and marketing will be discussed.
- Greenhouse structures
- Mechanical systems for maintaining a growing environment
- Wholesale and retail marketing methods
- Production costs and markup
- Types of nurseries
- Field and container yard layout
- Cultivation, harvesting and storage of crops
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- define greenhouse structures and equipment.
- define production costs and markup.
- demonstrate cultural practices within the nursery industry.
- describe maintaining a growing environment.
- describe marketing strategies.
- describe the wholesale and retail horticultural industry.
- identify types of nurseries.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)