Jan 21, 2021
HSER 1030 - Helping Skills Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course provides a basic introduction to helping and interviewing concepts with a focus on individual skill development. Emphasis will be placed on the application of skills and knowledge to human service settings and situations. Self-awareness and its impact on helping others will also be discussed.
- Attending behavior
- Discovery and development of personal style
- Eliciting and reflecting meaning
- Encouraging and paraphrasing
- Influencing skills
- Observation and listening skills
- Reflecting feeling and content
- Skill integration from a multicultural perspective
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Identify how personal style impacts the helping process.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the needs of clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate basic listening and interviewing skills.
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses when helping others.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)