Dec 08, 2021
INTD 1040 - Elements of Interior Design Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course focuses on “sourcing”-locating and using professional design resources that demonstrate a systematic approach for specifying fabrics, furniture, finishes, and fixtures in students’ own design work. This course requires off campus site visits to a variety of “trade only” showrooms during regular business hours.
Prerequisite(s): INTD 1020 with a grade of C or higher or concurrently enrolled or instructor consent. Assessment score placement in ENGL 1021 or completion of ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher. Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher OR elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above OR completion MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a MATH course.
Recommendation: ENGL 1021 with a grade of C or higher.
- Furniture construction
- Scouting interior design industry resources marble yard International Market Square appliance showroom lumberyard wall finish showroom solid surfacing showroom flooring window treatments
- Specifying furniture, fabric, finishes and appliances
- Purchase orders
- Interpret acknowledgments
- Interpret vendor invoices
- Client invoices
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- demonstrate the basic layout for Interior Design spaces.
- gather material sample selections from current interior design showrooms.
- write specifications for fixtures, finishes and appliances for contractors.
- write client invoices and purchase orders.
- nterpret vendor invoices and acknowledgements.
- develop presentation skills.
- analyze new Interior Design products.
- obtain furniture tear sheets.
- explain furniture construction details.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)