Dec 08, 2021
MUSC 1018 - Century Guitar Ensemble Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture 3Lab None
Course Description: The Century Guitar Ensemble rehearses and performs a variety of guitar ensemble music in concerts during the academic year. The primary objective of the ensemble is to develop the musician’s ensemble playing ability and their understanding of classical guitar technique and ensemble literature. Students must provide their own nylon string classical guitar. Students may take this course for academic credit up to four times. Note: Registration for guitar ensemble may be done as an activity for academic credit or through Continuing Education. Additional rehearsal time may be scheduled for the week of each performance.
Prerequisite(s): An interview and audition with the instructor.
Recommendation: Ability to read standard notation on the guitar.
- Developing good rehearsal techniques
- Fingering and annotation of parts
- Giving and following cues
- Listening and reacting to other ensemble members while playing
- Rhythmic unity (counting out loud while playing, etc.)
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper stage etiquette.
- Prepare music scores for rehearsals and performances
- Perform a wide variety of styles and periods of guitar ensemble music.
- Rehearse guitar ensemble music productively.
- Demonstrate the ability to play with classical right-hand technique.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)