Dec 08, 2021
MUSC 2062 - Advanced Music Theory II Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course is the continuation of MUSC 2061 - Advanced Music Theory I . It is an advanced study of form in music including binary and ternary form, two-voice 18th Century counterpoint, the fugue, variation technique, sonata form, and rondo form. Students will apply advanced music theory concepts by analyzing music examples and by writing music compositions.
Prerequisite(s): MUSC 2061 ; concurrent enrollment in MUSC 2072 , or consent of instructor.
- Binary form
- Introduction to formal structures in music
- Rondo form
- Sonata form
- Ternary form
- The fugue
- Two-voice 18th Century counterpoint
- Variation technique
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Analyze a wide variety of formal structures.
- Identify a wide variety of formal structures in music (including binary and ternary form, two-voice 18th Century counterpoint, the fugue, variation technique, sonata form, and rondo form).
- Compose a wide variety of formal structures.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)