Jan 28, 2023
PE 2080 - Introduction to Sports Management Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course introduces students to the field of sports management and the numerous career opportunities available over the wide spectrum of the sports management, recreation, and entertainment industry. Emphasis will be placed on examining the job responsibilities and competencies required of the various areas of sports management and recreation. The course may also interest students going into event planning/management, tourism, marketing, or sports- related businesses.
- Structure of sports management spectrum
- Sub-disciplines of sports management
- Historical, psychological, sociological, and philosophical foundations of sports management, sports, and recreation.
- Influence of sports and recreation within local communities and/or regions.
- Sport Management techniques, strategies, and models
- Leadership styles
- Organizational behavior of common sport enterprises
- Sports management skills
- Legal issues
- Ethics and decision-making
- Sports communication and networking
- Career opportunities and resources
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- analyze the role of sports management in society.
- demonstrate knowledge of current key terms and legal issues in sports management.
- describe career opportunities over the spectrum of the sport management industry and its sub-disciplines.
- describe ethical challenges within sports management.
- describe socio-cultural aspects of sport and recreation
- describe the United States history of sport and recreation.
- describe the foundations of sports management
- distinguish the managerial differences between amateur, interscholastic, intercollegiate, club and professional sports.
- identify leadership styles.
- identify resources in sports management, recreation and entertainment.
- identify sub-disciplines of sports management.
- identify the sports management styles and models.
- outline organizational behavior of common sport enterprises.
- outline the spectrum of the sports management industry.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)