Nov 27, 2021
PSAF 1035 - Community Service Principles Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course will explore the perceptions and expectations of governmental organizations, the media, and culturally diverse communities. The course provides a focus on customer service, public relations, crisis communications, recruitment and retention, and education as it relates to public safety.
Recommendation: Computer literacy and word processing skills.
- Community relations: Performing a community needs assessment. Community involvement in public safety. Identify current, emerging, and potential future needs of a community. Proactive service and relations.
- Crisis communications.
- Customer service strategies: Professionalism. Gender, generational, ethnic, and cultural awareness. Developing a customer service assessment program. Identifying stakeholders and their expectations
- Public Safety Education: Public safety education. Public safety marketing. Public safety community and media relations.
- Recruitment and retention of public safety staff.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Identify stakeholders that must be considered in planning public safety operations. (L2)
- Compare and contrast community service missions of law enforcement, the fire service, and EMS. (L4+L6)
- Define community. (L1)
- Discuss community service missions of public safety agencies. (L1)
- Perform a community needs assessment to address specific community needs, challenges, or unique and diverse sub-populations within a community. (L3)
- Demonstrate an understanding of public safety educational, marketing, and public relation programs offered by various sub-disciplines of public safety. (L3)
- Design an action plan to address specific community needs, challenges, or unique and diverse sub-populations within a community. (L5)
- Design an educational, marketing, or public relations program to address a unique sub-population in a community. (L5)
- Discuss gender, generational, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and/or issues that may impact the delivery of public safety services in a community. (L2)
- Discuss interacting with the media during public safety operations and disasters. (L2)
- Discuss the need for professionalism, respect, and awareness when dealing with unique and/or culturally diverse sub-populations in a community. (L2)
- Examine the key components of crisis communication during public safety operations and disasters. (L4)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)