Feb 23, 2020
RDNG 0900 - Fundamentals of College Reading Credits: 6
Hours/Week: Lecture 6Lab None
Course Description: This course focuses on the skills necessary for reading and studying college-level material. Topics and skill development include critical reading and thinking strategies, building academic vocabulary, textbook processing for deeper comprehension, and fluency. All students who place into RDNG 0900 are also required to concurrently enroll in STSC 1021 - College Success Strategies .
- Comprehension Strategies
- Identify main idea/supporting detail
- Identify patterns of organization in essays, articles and textbook chapters
- Engage in Close Reading
- Use prior knowledge to scaffold comprehension
- Specific reading and study strategies
- Mind mapping
- Note taking
- Preparing for Tests
- Building background knowledge
- Formulating questions (oral/written) to guide reading/inquiry
- Critical Reading and Thinking
- Identify and evaluate claim and evidence
- Distinguish fact from opinion
- Identify author¿s purpose, tone and intent
- Identify the implications of a course of action or thinking
- Identify figurative language and bias to clarify meaning
- Metacognitive strategies ¿ self-assessment/self-evaluation/self-correction
- Use context to determine word meaning
- Develop college level vocabulary
- Analyze the structure of words
- Learn Latin and Greek word parts
- Utilize repeated reading strategies
- Academic Collaboration
- Participate in class discussions and activities
- Individual and group projects
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- analyze the structure of texts to support comprehension.
- apply strategies to learn and use college vocabulary in reading.
- connect readings to personal experience and prior knowledge.
- interpret texts, including college-level texts, using critical-thinking and problem-solving approaches.
- paraphrase passages from a variety of texts, both verbally and in writing.
- read increasingly complex texts, including college level, fluently and effectively.
- summarize passages from a variety of texts, both verbally and in writing.
- use close reading to check comprehension of texts.
- use specific reading and study systems to read and process college textbook material.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio