Oct 19, 2021
VCT 2064 - Print Production Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This advanced course in print production reveals the challenges and limitations of desktop publishing and the subsequent printing process. Instruction will focus on how students can plan and design projects that print efficiently and with the least amount of trouble. The course will also cover how to prepare, troubleshoot, and repair document files for specific printing conditions.
Prerequisite(s): VCT 2062 or concurrent enrollment.
- Designing for print
- Digital imposition software and techniques
- Digital pre-flighting of documents
- Manual imposition techniques
- Manual pre-flighting documents
- Potential film and plate output problems
- Potential problems in a PDF workflow
- Repurposing for the web
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- communicate with a service bureau or printer in the language of design and print.
- examine print jobs and designs for potential problems.
- prepare print jobs and designs for film or plate output.
- proof print jobs and designs for client approval.
- manually and digitally impose a multiple page document.
- repurpose page layout for the web.
- examine files manually and electronically for proper printing.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)