Oct 19, 2021
VCT 2085 - Advanced Texturing for 3D Animation Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: In this advanced 3D texturing course, students will use intricate UVW mapping techniques, as well as specific digital imaging skills to create detailed textures to be applied to 3D characters and environments prepared for animation. Advanced lighting techniques intended to enhance textures in a 3D scene will also be covered. Using industry-standard applications such as Adobe Photoshop and Autodesks 3ds Max and Mudbox, projects will involve researching, mapping, creating, and applying textures to characters and environments.
Prerequisite(s): VCT 2026 or consent of instructor.
- Perceptions of reality applied to virtual environments
- Visualizing the surface qualities of your 3D objects
- Working with the complex properties of the Unwrap UVW Map modifier
- Creating mapping coordinates for various 3D environmental objects
- Creating mapping coordinates for 3D characters
- Creating highly believable texture maps for objects in a 3D environment
- Creating highly believable texture maps for 3D characters
- Lighting and textures - the relationship
- Advanced lighting techniques
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- research visual references of the surface qualities of objects in the real world.
- use the advanced properties of the Unwrap UVW Map modifier in 3ds Max.
- create complex mapping coordinates for 3D objects.
- create a variety of texture maps in Adobe Photoshop.
- apply a combination of texture maps to 3D objects
- use advanced lighting techniques to enhance textures in a 3D scene.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)