Oct 22, 2021
WLDG 1007 - Introduction to Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course will focus on gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) while developing skills with sheet metal, aluminum, and stainless steel in the flat position. Additional topics will include personal safety rules and shop equipment procedures. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
- Arc methods
- Inspecting welds
- Metal preparation for welding
- Personal safety procedures
- Set-up and take down procedures of (GTAW) equipment
- Shop and equipment safety rules and procedures
- Weld in sheet metal, aluminum and stainless steel in flat position
- Welding equipment
- Welding terminology
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify shop and personal safety procedures.
- identify parts and accessories of GTAW equipment.
- describe safety precautions when using GTAW equipment.
- identify joint designs used in welding.
- utilize welding terminology.
- select appropriate filler rods.
- prepare sheet metal, aluminum, and stainless steel for welding.
- demonstrate proper set-up and take down procedures of GTAW equipment.
- select tools and tungsten.
- adjust regulators.
- carry a puddle without filler rod.
- demonstrate proper use of shop equipment.
- describe GTAW methods.
- inspect welds for grading.
- perform butt, lap, corner and tee welds on sheet metal using filler rod in the flat position using GTAW equipment.
- select and carry a puddle with filler rod.
- start the arc.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)