Sep 29, 2023
ART 1061 - Sculpture I Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course introduces students to a variety of materials and processes common to sculpture. Hands-on projects expand 3D design concepts and encourage students to develop their creative ideas. Students will explore contemporary trends and applications, as well as research cultural traditions throughout history. Coursework includes access to Century’s FAB LAB, which can enhance projects, and connect students to projects around the world.
Prerequisite(s): ART 1025 .
- Historical/cultural overview
- Traditional and contemporary concepts
- 3D Design Principles Unity and variety Balance Scale Proportion Emphasis Repetition and rhythm
- Elements Plane Volume Mass Form Texture Line Color Space Light
- Form and content
- Materials and meaning
- Properties and characteristics of materials (possible materials listed below) Stone Clay Metals Wood Glass Fiber Plastic Found objects
- Additive and subtractive techniques
- Construction Methods Concept sketching Model making (and pointing-up to scale) FAB LAB and digital applications Thumbnails
- Studio and materials safety
- Physical considerations: weight, gravity, balance, mass, strength, volume
- Tension and Torsion
- Types of sculptures
- Free standing
- Convergent and divergent thinking strategies
- Creative process and concept development
- Critiquing projects using terms and criteria common to art
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- apply 3D design concepts and elements toward an aesthetic and/or technical end.
- manipulate a variety of materials common to sculpture.
- describe the physical properties and functions of a variety of materials common to sculpture.
- safe studio procedures.
- describe safety hazards related to a variety of materials.
- create sculptures using both additive and subtractive techniques.
- construct sculptures that are structurally sound.
- evaluate projects using terms and criteria common to art.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)