Sep 29, 2023
AST 1045 - Standard Drive Train Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 4
Course Description: This course covers the theory and operation of manual transmissions/transaxles,clutches, RWD, universal joints, FWD, constant velocity joints, differentials, and 4-wheel drive systems. Group activities and shop work include the adjustments, repair, replacement and/or rebuilding of these units. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1015 , AST 1025 , and AST 1035 . Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher; assessment score placement in ENGL 0090 or above or completion of ENGL 0080 with a grade of C or higher; Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above OR completion MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to automotive drive trains
- Clutch fundamentals, diagnosis, and service
- Manual transmission and transaxle fundamentals, diagnosis, and repair
- FWD fundamentals, diagnosis, and
- RWD fundamentals, diagnosis, and service
- Driveline vibration
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to standard drive train.
- describe standard drive train theory and operation.
- identify manual drive train components and related parts.
- rebuild manual drive train systems to industry standards.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- perform NATEF tasks related to manual drive train systems
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)