Nov 14, 2019
ART 1031 - Photography 1 Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: This course is designed as an exploration of photography as a means of visual communication and creative expression. Students are introduced to the basics of 35 mm cameras and black and white darkroom practices. Projects address a range of design, aesthetic, and conceptual issues fundamental to the art of photography. Strong emphasis is on the development of both a technical foundation and a critical awareness of the medium as a creative tool. This course requires 2 additional lab hours per week.
6 Humanities/Fine Arts
Recommendation: ART 1024
- Introduction to Photography as a creative tool Formal elements specific to the medium of photography Portrait- interpretive and descriptive Landscape- ethically evaluative and aesthetically evaluative Final Projects- proposals and artist statements
- Technical Basics Introduction to the 35mm SLR Camera Film Developing and printing Introduction to digital photography Finishing and presentation
- Contemporary Issues/criticism Art Photography and photography in Art (traditional vs. contemporary) Visual literacy Controversy in art and media Reading and discussion What is criticism Writing Assignment Describe a photograph Subject matter and subject Types of photographs Critique
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Create images utilizing photographic processes.
- Demonstrate effective solutions to creative assignments applying knowledge of the materials, research of contemporary issues in art making and creative problem solving skills.
- Apply a basic understanding of technical elements of photography, such as film exposure and development, black and white printing, and methods of presentation.
- Demonstrate an ability to critique artworks, utilizing terms common to art.
- Articulate (verbally and through writing) an understanding of formal and theoretical concepts within art, specifically within the area of photography.
- Demonstrate an understanding of craftsmanship and presentation methods in their creative work.
- Identify various exemplary works of contemporary art as well as works of historical significance.
Competency 1 (1-6)
06. 01. Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of works in the arts and humanities.
06. 02. Understand those works as expressions of individual and human values within an historical and social context.
06. 03. Respond critically to works in the arts and humanities.
06. 04. Engage in the creative process or interpretive performance.
06. 05. Articulate an informed personal reaction to works in the arts and humanities.
Courses and Registration
[Add to Portfolio]