AST 1015 - Automotive Brakes
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 4
Course Description: This course covers drum and disc brake systems, hydraulic systems, power brakes, and the basic theory of anti-lock brake systems. Theory, diagnosis, adjustment, and complete system rebuilding will be included during group discussions and shop applications. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1025 , AST 1035 , and AST 1045 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to automotive brake systems and service.
- Brake hydraulics
- Fluid pressure control
- Brake hoses and lines
- Master cylinder
- Power brakes
- Drum brakes
- Disc brakes
- Brake diagnosis
- Antilock braking systems
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to brake systems.
- demonstrate micrometer measuring.
- perform correct applicable machining techniques.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- perform NATEF tasks related to automotive brake systems
- describe brake system operation and theory.
- identify brake system components and related parts.
- rebuild brake systems to industry standards.
- describe anti-lock brake system theory and operation.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
[Add to Portfolio]