Jan 27, 2022
CMAE 1522 - Quality Practices Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course is designed to align with the National Skills Standards Council’s assessment and certification system for Quality Practices. The course curriculum is based upon federally-endorsed national standards for production workers. Emphasis is placed on continuous improvement concepts and how they relate to a quality management system. Students will be introduced to a quality management system and its components. These include corrective actions, preventative actions, control of documents, control of quality records, internal auditing of processes, and control of non-conforming product.
- Audit activities: characteristics of audit data; audit forms workflow; assessment and documentation of quality standards; audit process and procedures
- Data collection: calibration schedule; instrument certification; step for recalibration of instruments
- Continuous improvement: role of observation, data review, and analysis; measurable and data-driven benefits; soliciting and receiving suggestions
- Inspection: scheduling considerations for sampling and inspection; selection of inspection tools and procedures; materials specifications; identification of products that don’t meet specifications; spot-checks; creation and reporting of inspection documentation
- Documentation: completion and accuracy; evaluating and interpreting information; sharing data; analytical tools including statistical process controls; storage and time frames for reports
- Communication: review of problems with production operators; communication of quality problems with appropriate parties; documentation and reporting
- Correction actions: identification and communication; recommendations for action; timeliness of adjustments; documentation of adjustments and quality checks; implementation of quality improvements in standardized manner
- Record outcomes: appropriate standards in maintaining records; charting of outcomes; analyze data for accuracy, reporting procedures for quality performance data; comparison of previous issues and current situations
- Blueprint reading: create visualization of objects; identify blueprint features; comprehend dimensions in a drawing; functions of sectional drawings
- Measurement systems: convert between US and metric systems; machinist’s rule and tape measure usage; caliper and micrometer measurements; digital gauge measurements.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- explain periodic or statistically based internal quality audit activities.
- describe checking and documentation of calibration of gages and other data collection equipment
- explain continuous improvement.
- discuss inspection of materials and product/process at all stages to ensure they meet specifications.
- describe documentation of results of quality tests.
- explain communication regarding quality problems.
- identify corrective actions to restore or maintain quality
- explain how to properly record process outcomes and trends.
- identify fundamentals of blueprint reading
- use common measurement systems and precision measurement tools.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)