ADCO 2050 - Case Management for Addiction Counseling Treatment
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: This course provides an overview of the multiaxial assessment of the DSM-V. Special problems, including mental health issues are discussed. The course provides students with knowledge and practice in case management, through screening, assessment, treatment planning, consulting, referral, and recordkeeping. The student will practice documentation of client problems, goals, objectives, and progress notes as required by treatment centers. This course meets the requirement for Minnesota Statute 2005 Chapter 148C and Minnesota Rule 4747.
Prerequisite(s): ADCO 1020 with a grade of C or higher.
1. Diagostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM)
- History of DSM and ICD
- Multiaxial assessment
2. Bio-psychosocial interview
- How to conduct the interview
- Disposition and treatment plan
3. The treatment plan
- How to build a treatment plan
- The problem list
- Goals and objectives
- How to develop goals
- How to develop interventions
- How to select goals, objectives, and interventions
- How to write progress notes
- The Six Dimensions
4. Discharge summary and after-care plan
- How to develop a discharge summary and after-care plan
- Discharge summary and after-care plan in reference to the Six Dimensions
5. Substance Related Disorders
- Outline presentation for Substance Related Disorders group
- Pick a topic
- Substance Related Disorders as a disease
- Defense mechanisms
- Physical addiction and recovery
- Alcoholic Anonymous
- Other topics
6. Case management for substance abuse
- History and introduction
- Case management principles
- Culture issues
7. Special problems
- The depressed client
- The angry client
- The homicidal client (duty to warn)
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Develop and document a treatment plan.
- Explain different ways to document progress notes using SOAP (Subjective Objective Assessment Plan), DAP (Data Assessment Plan), narrative and the Six Dimensions.
- Document an outline on a chemical dependency topic for presentation to a group.
- Demonstrate the principles of case management relative to substance abuse treatment.
- Formulate and document a complete written case study from the bio-psychosocial interview.
- Construct a discharge summary and after-care plan.
- Identify five elements that are culturally sensitive in case management.
- Identify various mental disorders, general medical conditions, psychosocial and environmental problems, and the level of functioning in the current five axes of the DSM.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the multiaxial classification of DSM 10. Assess the emotional states of the clients.
- Assess the emotional states of the clients.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
[Add to Portfolio]