Aug 14, 2020
ADCO 2055 - Co-Occurring Disorders: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture 1 Lab None
Course Description: This course meets the Statue 245G criteria for training in co-occurring mental health problems and substance abuse. The course includes competencies related to philosophy, screening, assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning, documentation, programming, medication, collaboration, mental health consultation, and discharge planning. The core functions involved include screening, intake, assessment, treatment planning, crisis intervention, referral and multicultural aspects of Substance Related Disorder.
Prerequisite(s): ADCO 1020 with a grade of C or higher.
- Overview of co-occurring disorders and substance abuse
- The evolving field of co-occuring disorders
- Definition, terms and classifications of items for co-occurring disorders and substance abuse
- Terms related to mental disorders
- Screening and basic assessment of co-occurring disorders
- The assessment process
- Strategies for working with clients with co-occurring disorders
- Guidelines for a successful therapeutic relationship with a client who has co-occurring disorders
- Technique for working with clients with co-occurring disorders
- Traditional setting and models
- Essential programming for clients with co-occurring disorders
- Special setting and specific programs
- Acute care and other medical centers
- A brief overview of specific mental disorders and cross cutting issues
- Personality disorders
- Mood disorders and anxiety disorders
- Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders (AD/HD)
- Post-tramautic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders
- Pathological gambling
- Substance abuse disorders
- Diagnostic considerations
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- explain the definitions, terms and classification system for co-occurring disorders.
- list common medications for co-occurring disorders.
- compare criteria in the DSM-V relating to substance abuse and co-occurring disorders.
- discuss case studies employing a variety of counseling strategies, i.e. cognitive behavior therapy, motivation interviewing techniques.
- describe appropriate counseling techniques in co-occurring disorders and substance abuse.
- contrast substance abuse and co-occurring disorders.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)