Sep 29, 2023
DENA 1020 - Dental Materials Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course provides the basic knowledge and skills required for the Dental Assistant in the dental office. Technical and hands-on experience will be given for dental materials used in operative, restorative, specialty, and laboratory procedures. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. Acceptance in the Dental Assisting Program is required.
Prerequisite(s): DENA 1000 , DENA 1011 , and DENA 1012 .
- Application of the various dental materials
- Cavity classifications and various restorative materials available for the patient
- Knowledge and application of dental liners, bases, and bonding systems
- Properties of dental cements including brands, composition, uses, and mixing times of each cement
- Types of impression trays and the characteristics of each
- Bite registrations
- Hydrocoloid materials, irreversible and reversible materials, and elastomeric materials to include: polysulfide, polyether, and polysiloxane
- Impressions and pouring in Class I stone
- Mouth guards and bleaching trays
- Trim and finish casts
- Safety in the laboratory area ncluding information on hazardous waste and MSDS, and proper use of the equipment
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate safety techniques, and care and handling of laboratory equipment.
- Identify and use correct terminology for the use of dental materials.
- Identify, classify, and manipulate the various dental materials found in the dental office.
- Prepare the materials at the dental chair.
- Prepare diagnostic casts for laboratory procedures.
- Trim and finish casts.
- Construct mouth guards and bleaching trays on casts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)