Sep 29, 2023
DENH 1085 - Clinic II Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This is the second in a series of four DENH clinical courses which provides further instrumentation techniques, more advanced assessment skills, and new clinical procedures. This course also covers development of both the dental hygiene diagnosis and the dental hygiene treatment plan. Students will treat patients in the Century College dental clinic. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): DENH 1021 , DENH 1024 , DENH 1030 , DENH 1040 , and DENH 1045
Corequisite(s): DENH 1080
- Dental hygiene diagnosis
- Instrument sharpening
- Universal curettes and scalers
- Application of desensitizing agents
- Application of pit & fissure sealants
- Student clinical practice
- Dental hygiene treatment planning
- Appointment sequencing
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- perform comprehensive patient oral examination.
- describe instrument sharpening and technique principles.
- use universal curettes and scalers appropriately.
- perform mechanical polishing.
- apply desensitizing agents as needed.
- apply sealant materials correctly when indicated.
- plan dental hygiene services for patients with special needs.
- demonstrate professionalism.
- perform clinical practice (minimum 9 hours per week).
- develop a dental hygiene diagnosis based on assessment findings.
- develop a treatment plan appropriate to the patient’s life cycle.
- demonstrate safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- document patient care appropriately.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)