Sep 29, 2023
DENH 2010 - Principles III: Advanced Dental Hygiene Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: This is the third dental hygiene principles course. Advanced assessment techniques are covered as well as diagnosis and care planning for patients with more complex treatment needs.
Prerequisite(s): DENH 2005
Corequisite(s): DENH 2015
- Root morphology review implications in instrumentation strategies
- Saliva testing
- Microbial testing
- Implant maintenance
- New technologies in dental hygiene practice
- Case presentations
- Evidence-based decision-making
- Ultrasonic instrumentation
- Advanced and special instrumentation techniques
- Periodontal adjuncts
- Non-surgical periodontal protocols
- Margination and polishing of restorations
- Dental implant maintenance and patient education
- Pulp vitality testing
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- describe advanced fulcrums and appropriate use of specialty periodontal instruments.
- state the indications, contraindications, and protocols for ultrasonic instrumentation.
- state the indications, contraindications, and protocols for using periodontal adjuncts.
- analyze the role of the dental hygienist in supporting patients with dental restorations.
- investigate the indications and contraindications of incorporating new and existing technology in dental hygiene practice.
- discuss indications and contraindications of new dental hygiene treatment strategies.
- present a comprehensive case study structured according to evidence-based decision-making principles to an audience of peers.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)