Jan 26, 2021
EMSP 1227 - Advanced Prehospital Cardiac Care III Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab 4
Course Description: This course builds upon EMSP 1225 and EMSP 1226 and presents concepts and skills for assessing and managing the out-of-hospital cardiac patient. Emphasis will be placed upon recognition, interpretation and management of EKG rhythms, and cardiac arrest management with the use of pacemakers, defibrillators, and medications. During this course, students will be introduced to Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) megacode. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires Minnesota Human Services and National background studies with no restrictions; current AHA BLS Provider certification; current State EMT certification; and current healthcare insurance; required immunizations.
Prerequisite(s): EMSP 1226 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: Basic word processing skills
- Cardiac arrest management
- Written algorhythms
- Static cardiology
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Implement a care plan for the most commonly used cardiac drugs, including therapeutic effects, dosages, routes of administration, side effects, and toxic effects.
- assess and implement a treatment plan on a simulated cardiac patient.
- implement care plan for defibrillation, pacing, and cardioversion.
- perform as a team leader in various simulated cardiac emergencies.
- demonstrate knowledge of Advanced Cardiac Life Support algorithms.
- identify implications and treatment of paced rhythms.
- identify implications and treatment of supraventricular rhythms.
- identify implications and treatment of ventricular dysrhythmias.
- identify life threatening dysrhythmias.
- integrate pathophysiological principles to the assessment and field management of the cardiac patient in a simulation environment.
- perform as a competent team member in various simulated cardiac emergencies.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)