Sep 18, 2020
EMSE 1148 - Advanced EMS Operations Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab 2
Course Description: This course introduces concepts and skills in the areas of triage, resource management, and incident command during a simulated Mass Casualty Incident (MCI). Students will design and participate in a multi-station MCI tabletop exercise. Emphasis includes special considerations for patient care at the scene of a crime. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires Minnesota Human Services and National background studies with no restrictions; current AHA BLS Healthcare Provider certification; current State EMT certification; valid driver’s license; driver’s license check passed according to Minnesota State policy.
Prerequisite(s): EMSE 1141 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: Basic word processing skills.
- Crime Scene Awareness Hazard awareness control and avoidance Approach to the scene Specific dangerous scenes Violent groups and situations Tactical considerations for safety and patient care Tactical patient care EMS at crime scenes
- MCI Review of National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Mass Casualty Incident (MCI) terminology Review of triage methods Design an MCI exercise Participate in an MCI exercise Incident command
- Rescue Awareness and Operations Role of the paramedic in rescue operations Phases of a rescue operation Medical treatment Disentanglement Rescuer personal protective equipment Review of rescue specialties
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- define the term rescue.
- demonstrate current methods of triage.
- complete a table top and practice exercise using the principles of medical incident command.
- apply knowledge of rescue, Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), MCI, crime scene management, and EMS operational aspects in scenario-based learning.
- explain the medical and mechanical aspects of rescue situations.
- explain the role of the paramedic in delivering care at the emergency scene.
- identify hazards of cave-in during trench rescue operations.
- identify hazards of water rescue.
- identify the role of a paramedic at a crime scene.
- identify confined in an oxygen-deficient atmosphere.
- set up an MCI drill.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)