Sep 22, 2020
ENGL 2025 - Creative Writing: Popular Publications Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: This creative writing class intended for all students covers the study and practice of various forms of writing for popular publications including personality profiles, event stories, and opinion pieces. Writing suitable for publication in popular newspapers, magazines, journals, and electronic media is emphasized. This type of writing is fundamental to the free exchange of ideas in society, a necessary mechanism for understanding a variety of viewpoints required by well-informed citizens. Because creative writing involves both creativity and scholarship, coursework includes critical analysis of student and published writing; forming aesthetic judgments about popular publication writing; writing and revising stories; form and technique in popular publication writing; and responding to the creative work of classmates in a writing community.
1 Communication, 9 Ethical/Civic Responsibility
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: ENGL 1020 with a grade of C or higher OR ENGL 1021 .
- Goals and responsibilities of popular publication writers
- Leads and story structure
- Gathering information, developing questions, and interviewing
- Various types of popular publication stories including personality profiles, event stories, and opinion pieces
- Popular publication issues such as cartoon controversies and increasing concentration of media
- Getting published, marketing stories, and writing query letters
- Ethical and legal standards
- Electronic media
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- employ their own ethical views in assessing and producing popular publication writing.
- apply popular publication writing core concepts in their own popular publication writing.
- critique popular publication writing as models for their own popular publication writing.
- apply principles of contemporary aesthetics to their own popular publication writing.
- analyze ethical dimensions of legal, social, scientific, and other issues as presented in popular publications.
- identify the diversity of political motivations and interests of others including “newsmakers,” sources of information, and readers.
- employ appropriate techniques in marketing popular publication stories.
- understand and demonstrate the writing process through the invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing and presentation of their own popular publication writing.
- participate effectively in groups with emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding related to popular publication writing.
- responsibly locate, evaluate and synthesize diverse source material and points of view in their own popular publication writing.
- make appropriate communication choices for specific audiences in their own popular publication writing.
Competency 1 (1-6)
01. 01. Understand/demonstrate the writing and speaking processes through invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing and presentation.
01. 02. Participate effectively in groups with emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding.
01. 03. Locate, evaluate, and synthesize in a responsible manner material from diverse sources and points of view.
01. 04. Select appropriate communication choices for specific audiences.
Competency 2 (7-10)
09. 01. Examine, articulate, and apply their own ethical views.
09. 02. Understand and apply core concepts (e.g. politics, rights and obligations, justice, liberty) to specific issues.
09. 04. Recognize the diversity of political motivations and interests of others.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)