Sep 18, 2020
ESOL 0021 - Grammar and Writing II Credits: 5
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course focuses on basic writing skills. You will improve your grammar, writing fluency, editing skills, and ability to write short paragraphs. You will also learn to use the computer to improve your writing and editing skills.
Prerequisite(s): Appropriate scores on the language proficiency test with background information, oral interview, and writing sample.
Recommendation: Students should take advantage of community based ABE/ESL programs and have some previous English reading, writing and speaking experience, along with some previous formal educational experiences to build basic academic skills.
- The Writing Process Prewriting, drafting, revising and editing Organizing ideas within a paragraph
- Content and Organization Distinguishing topics and main ideas Developing a topic sentence Choosing relevant supports
- Language Use Basic sentence construction Focus on simple and progressive verbs in all tenses Question formation Negatives Coordinating conjunctions and transitions Parts of speech Comparatives and superlatives Subject-verb agreement
- Mechanics Capitalization Basic punctuation Handwriting Spelling Paragraph form
- Genres Directions/processes Descriptions and narratives Simple opinions and comparisons
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- write short paragraphs with all sentences relevant to the given topic
- organize their writing with the following thought patterns: chronological order, listing and description
- use verb forms taught at this level with increasing accuracy
- formulate questions and negatives with standard grammar
- use a basic writing process to produce coherent and grammatically correct paragraphs
- use basic punctuation with increasing accuracy
- apply standard mechanics to all written work demonstrate an ability to edit their own work and that of others
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)