Sep 18, 2020
ECT 1001 - PC Hardware and Software Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab 2
Course Description: This course covers the fundamentals of computer hardware and software as well as advanced concepts. The course will focus on describing the internal components of a computer, assembling a computer system, installing an operating system, and troubleshooting using system tools and diagnostic software.
- Introduction to the personal computer
- Laptops and portable devices
- Network fundamentals
- Operating systems
- Preventive maintenance and troubleshooting
- Printers and scanners
- Safe lab procedure and tool use
- Step-by-step computer assembly
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- describe the components of a personal computer
- perform a step-by-step assembly of a desktop computer.
- explain the purpose of preventive maintenance
- perform preventive maintenance.
- install an operating system.
- upgrade components of a personal computer, based on a scenario
- describe the components of a laptop computer.
- describe the components of a laser printer.
- perform component replacement on a laptop computer.
- troubleshoot a personal computer or laptop, given a scenario.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)