Dec 03, 2021
FRTA 1095 - Hazardous Materials Operations Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: Hazardous Materials Operations is an introduction to hazardous materials intended to provide the skills and knowledge necessary to recognize, identify, and remain safe in potentially hazardous environments. The course will emphasize hazardous materials recognition, hazardous materials identification, effects of hazardous materials on people and the environment, material safety data sheets (MSDS) and safety precautions. This course must be completed to receive Minnesota Firefighter I certification.
- Action Plans - Evaluation and Review
- Information Gathering
- Introduction to Concept Implementation
- Introduction to Recognition and Identification
- Introduction to basic concepts of hazardous materials.
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Personal Safety
- Potential Course and Harm of the Incident
- Site Management and Scene Setup
- Strategic Goals
- Tactical Operations
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Recognize hazardous materials.
- Determine strategic goals
- Decontaminate personnel exposed to hazardous materials.
- Setup a scene.
- Identify hazardous materials.
- Gather information on hazardous materials.
- Explain the effects of hazardous materials on people and the environment.
- Explain safety precautions to avoid an exposure.
- Assess tactical options.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)