Feb 16, 2020
HLTH 1001 - Medical Terminology Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: The course includes a study of the structure of medical words/terms including the spelling, definition, pronunciation, common prefixes, suffixes, word roots, and how to combine them to form medical words. Learning strategies for dealing with new terminology as students’ progress in the health care field are included.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
- How To Study Medical Terminology
- Introduction To Medical Terminology Course
- Medical Terminology Content Areas. Structure Of Human Body Skeletal System Muscular System Cardiovascular System Lymphatic And Immune Systems Respiratory System Digestive System Urinary System Nervous System Special Senses: Eyes And Ears Integumentary System Endocrine System Reproductive Systems Diagnostic And Imaging Procedures Pharmacology Abbreviations And Meanings
- Word Building System (Prefixes, Combining Forms, Suffixes)
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Identify word parts within medical terms.
- Spell medical terms correctly given a verbal pronunciation.
- Utilize medical terms correctly in their given context.
- Define medical terms correctly.
- Construct an acceptable and correctly spelled medical term, based on a definition.
- Identify correct medical term or phrases, based on an abbreviation.
- Identify the medically acceptable abbreviation, given a list of phrases, names, or medical terms.
- Identify the plural form of a medical term.
- Identify the singular form of a medical term.
- Pronounce medical terms correctly.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio