Mar 28, 2023
INTD 1050 - Lighting Fundamentals Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course focuses on lighting fundamentals for residential and commercial interiors. It covers the four functions of light: task, accent, decorative, and ambient. Students apply problem-solving techniques to a variety of lighting scenarios. This course requires field trips to the “trade only” vendors during regular business hours.
Prerequisite(s): INTD 1020 and INTD 1040 with grades of C or higher.
- lighting - types, sources, applications, limitations, measurements
- lighting and color
- lighting selection and specifications
- sustainable lighting options
- electrical codes and safety standards
- electrical floor plans
- lighting layout
- lighting illusions
- field trips
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify lighting types, sources, applications, and limitations.
- evaluate lighting measurements.
- specify appropriate lighting for specific situations.
- evaluate how color and behavior are affected by lighting.
- explore sustainable lighting options.
- incorporate course knowledge into lighting and electrical plans.
- write lighting specifications.
- demonstrate knowledge of lighting and electrical codes.
- draw reflected ceiling plans.
- identify aesthetic and human factors affecting lighting decisions.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)