Mar 28, 2023
MKTG 2063 - Advertising and Sales Promotion Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course introduces the basics of sales promotion and advertising as elements of effective sales campaigns that stimulate consumer demand and increase sales of products and services. Under the umbrella of the promotional mix, students will create, discuss and analyze advertisements and promotional pieces. In addition, they will select media as they devise coordinated promotional campaigns employing several promotional tools.
Prerequisite(s): MKTG 2050 .
Recommendation: Assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or above, or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher.
- Advertising media
- Advertising perspectives
- Advertising research: inputs to the planning process
- Copywriting and art direction
- Dimensions of advertising
- Direct mail and outdoor Media
- Electronic media
- Marketing and advertising planning
- Marketing and advertising strategies and tactics
- Marketing and consumer behavior
- Marketing segmentation and the marketing mix:
- Media planning and selection
- Print advertisements and commercials
- Print media
- Public Relations, corporate advertising, and noncommercial advertising
- Sales promotion activities and supplementary media
- Social, ethical, and regulatory aspects
- Special types of advertising
- The advertising business: agencies and clients
- International advertising
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- describe the role that sales promotion and advertising play in shaping consumer taste and demand nationally and globally.
- explain how sales promotion and advertising activities support successful business and marketing activities
- design advertising pieces and promotional campaigns that effectively communicate business image and goals to targeted markets.
- work with cross-functional teams on marketing and advertising projects
- present individual and projects for peer review and instructor evaluation
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)