MUSC 1030 - Fundamentals of Music
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: Fundamentals of Music is an introduction to basic music theory. The course covers concepts such as tonality, rhythm, scales and harmony, and explores various musical styles such as classical, popular, blues, jazz and folk. This course serves as an introduction to music theory for general students or for those considering a career in music.
6 Humanities/Fine Arts
- Scales and key signatures
- Basic keyboard skills
- Form and basic analysis
- Notation of pitch and rhythm
- Rhythm and meter
- Characteristics of music styles (classical, popular, folk, blues, etc.)
- Intervals and chords
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- compose a piece of music according to a basic structure.
- perform basic keyboard application of music fundamentals.
- write basic rhythm and pitch notation
- read basic rhythm and pitch notation
- explain music theory concepts regarding rhythm, melody, harmony and tonality.
- identify style characteristics within piece
Competency 1 (1-6)
06. 03. Respond critically to works in the arts and humanities.
06. 04. Engage in the creative process or interpretive performance.
06. 05. Articulate an informed personal reaction to works in the arts and humanities.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)