Sep 22, 2020
MUSC 1011 - Theatre Orchestra Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: The Theatre Orchestra will rehearse and perform a full-length, fully staged musical as part of a production by the Theatre Dept. The primary object of the ensemble is to develop the musicians’ playing ability as an accompanying ensemble within the American musical theatre tradition. The ensemble is open to musicians with previous performing experience. Note: Registration for Theatre Orchestra may be done as an activity for academic credit or through Continuing Education. Additional rehearsal time will be scheduled for the week prior to the opening night performance (“tech week”). Students may take this course for academic credit up to four times. This course requires an interview and audition with the Music Director/Pit Orchestra Conductor.
- Awareness of the pit orchestras function as a performing and accompanying ensemble
- Exploration of the particular sounds and styles represented by the Broadway musical selected by the Theatre and Music Depts.
- High performance standards in musical theatre literature.
- Instrumental skills through intonation, rhythm and ensemble awareness.
- Proper theatre etiquette.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Rehearse theatre music as a part of a section of an orchestra.
- Demonstrate the ability to play effectively in an accompanying ensemble.
- Prepare music scores for playing in pit orchestra rehearsals and performances.
- Perform in a variety of styles within a Broadway musical show.
- Demonstrate proper theatre etiquette.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)