Sep 22, 2020
MUSC 1015 - Century Concert Band Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: The Century Concert Band is a musical ensemble dedicated the study and performance of quality band literature. The music performed is from a wide variety of styles ranging from the Baroque period to the music of today. The objective of this course is to expand students’ understanding and enjoyment of music through the performance and study of music of various periods and styles. The membership in the band includes students and community members. Students may take this course for academic credit up to four times. Note: Registration for band may be done as an activity for academic credit or through Continuing Education. This course requires prior experience playing a wind or percussion instrument.
- Development of an advanced band ensemble sound
- Development of high level performance standards
- Proper stage etiquette
- The band music studied and performed in concert each semester will vary. The criteria for music selection will be:
- Variety of styles and periods
- Consideration of the ability of the performers and potential of the group
- The development of score reading and ensemble playing.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to play in an ensemble style.
- Efficiently rehearse band music as a part of a section of the ensemble.
- Demonstrate proper stage etiquette.
- Perform band music of various styles and periods.
- Prepare music scores for rehearsal and performance.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)