Jan 20, 2021
MUSC 1062 - Music Theory II Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course is the continuation of MUSC 1061 - Music Theory I . The course focuses on music texture, two- and four-part voice leading, harmonic progressions, a variety of seventh chords, and modulation. Students will apply music theory concepts by analyzing music examples and by writing music compositions. This course requires completion of MUSC 1061 and concurrently enrolled in MUSC 1072 .
- Dominant, leading tone and nondominant seventh chords and proper resolutions
- Four part voice leading: SATB writing, chord doublings, specific voice leading rules, stylistic practices
- Harmonic progression: root movement, circle progressions, other common root movement, harmonizing a tonal melody
- Modulation: common chord, phrase, chromatic modulations
- Texture types: monophonic, polyphonic, homophonic textures, specific texture labels (prime melodies, secondary melodies, parallel supporting melodies, harmonic and rhythmic support, static support)
- Two part voice leading: cantus firmus, counterpoint, motion between voices, specific voice leading rules, stylistic practices
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Compose two-voice compositions.
- Identify and analyze various music textures.
- Analyze two-voice compositions.
- Analyze four-voice compositions.
- Identify and analyze various melodic structures.
- Compose various melodic structures.
- Apply various harmonic progressions to compositions.
- Apply various modulations to compositions.
- Apply various seventh chords to compositions.
- Compose four-voice compositions.
- Identify various harmonic progressions
- Identify various modulations.
- Identify various seventh chords.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)