Sep 18, 2020
MUSC 2062 - Advanced Music Theory II Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course is the continuation of MUSC 2061 - Advanced Music Theory I . It is an advanced study of form in music including binary and ternary form, two-voice 18th Century counterpoint, the fugue, variation technique, sonata form, and rondo form. Students will apply advanced music theory concepts by analyzing music examples and by writing music compositions.
Recommendation: MUSC 2061 and concurrently enrolled in MUSC 2072
- Binary form
- Introduction to formal structures in music
- Rondo form
- Sonata form
- Ternary form
- The fugue
- Two-voice 18th Century counterpoint
- Variation technique
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Analyze a wide variety of formal structures.
- Identify a wide variety of formal structures in music (including binary and ternary form, two-voice 18th Century counterpoint, the fugue, variation technique, sonata form, and rondo form).
- Compose a wide variety of formal structures.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)