Sep 19, 2020
OFFT 2010 - Medical Office Terminology Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: This course is intended for students interested in medical office careers. The focus is on medical terminology as it relates to healthcare documentation with an emphasis on word-building techniques, usage, and spelling. Instructor consent is required.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher. Instructor consent required for registration to verify program prerequisites have been met.
- Communication/pronunciation of medical terms
- Correspondence utilizing medical terminology
- Integrate independent medical terms into working sentence structure
- System-by-system review of terminology
- Word structure
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify specific terms according to body systems.
- identify correct pronunciation of medical terminology.
- demonstrate use of medical reference material to enhance word building.
- translate terminology into working sentences utilized in medical correspondence.
- construct medical words.
- explain word-building techniques
- identify body systems.
- identify medical specialty areas.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)