Sep 19, 2020
OFFT 2032 - CPT-4 Coding Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: Medical coders use their medical knowledge to ensure adherence to insurance requirements and federal regulations. This course is the first in a series. It is an introduction to basic medical procedural coding guidelines. Student will focus on basic Current Procedural Terminology-4 (CPT-4) coding (Anesthesia, E&M, Surgical, Pathology/Laboratory, Radiology and Medicine) and Healthcare Procedural Coding System (HCPCS) codes.
Prerequisite(s): BIOL 1024 , OFFT 2012 , OFFT 2013 , and OFFT 2050 with grades of C or higher.
- Code Linkage
- Surgical Procedures
- Body Systems
- Evaluation and Management Coding
- Case Studies
- Data Quality Reviews
- National Correct Coding Initiative
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- apply procedural codes to case studies.
- demonstrate the use of the CPT coding manual.
- ensure validity of code linkage.
- explain the CPT classification system.
- explain the HCPCS classification system.
- identify surgical procedures by body systems.
- identify the process of coding evaluation and management services.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)