Sep 22, 2020
OFFT 2054 - Health Information Office Management Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: In this course students will examine the skills necessary to manage a health information office. Topics will include workflow processes, leadership, teamwork, budgeting, and managing employees.
Prerequisite(s): OFFT 2050 with a grade of C or higher.
- Roles and functions of teams and committees
- Teams/consensus building and committees
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Team leadership concepts and techniques
- Orientation and training (such as content, delivery, media)
- Workflow and process monitors
- Performance Reviews
- Cost-Saving Measures
- Coding and Revenue Cycles
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- apply the fundamentals of team leadership.
- organize and contribute to work teams and committees.
- conduct new staff orientation and training programs.
- conduct continuing education programs.
- monitor staffing levels and productivity standards for health information functions.
- provide feedback to management and staff regarding performance.
- communicate benchmark staff performance data.
- prioritize job functions and activities.
- use quality improvement tools and techniques to monitor, report, and improve processes.
- make recommendations for items to include in budgets and contracts.
- monitor and order supplies needed for work processes.
- monitor coding and revenue cycle processes.
- recommend cost-saving and efficient means of achieving work processes and goals.
- contribute to work plans, policies, procedures, and resource requisitions in relation to job functions.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)