Sep 18, 2020
OPCA 1050 - Thermoplastic Orthoses Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: In this course students practice skills necessary to vacuum form thermoplastic over a variety of plaster models to create acceptable orthoses. Practical skills include negative wraps, creating positive plaster models and the addition of metal components which are contoured and aligned to finish the orthoses.
Prerequisite(s): Instructor consent
- Model forming
- lower-limb, spinal and upper limb models
- angular changes to negative models
- modifications to plaster models
- Vacuum form and fabricate thermoplastic orthoses
- aligning joints to model
- vacuum forming thermoplastic
- Trim lines and finishing edges
- rough trim
- definitive trim lines
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- establish trim lines and finish edges of thermoplastic orthoses.
- fabricate a variety of articulating thermoplastic orthoses.
- vacuum form thermoplastic over a variety of plaster models of lower limb, spinal and upper limb sections.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)