Sep 18, 2020
OPCA 1110 - Orthotic and Prosthetic Office Specialist Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course focuses on developing knowledge and skills required to work in offices and manufacturing focused on orthotic, prosthetic, or pedorthic patients and products. Topics include the orthotic, prosthetic, and pedorthic profession, terminology used within the industry, HIPAA, ethical behavior, and specialized coding and billing. Special emphasis will be placed on developing the background knowledge for Medicare billing system specific to orthotics, prosthetics and pedorthics.
Prerequisite(s): Instructor consent.
Recommendation: Medical Office Support Certificate or concurrently enrolled or current employment in an orthotic, prosthetic or pedorthic office with employer recommendation.
- Scopes of Practice
- Office Assistant
- Disability Awareness
- Communication Techniques
- Medical Interpreters
- Communication devices
- Medical Terminology
- Healthcare Documentation Specific to Orthotic, Prosthetic and Pedorthic Care
- Record Keeping
- Financial Terminology
- Billing Process
- Medical Necessity
- Prior Authorization
- Third party payers
- Diabetic Shoe Bill
- Private Insurance
- Worker¿s Compensation
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- describe the roles of orthotic, prosthetic and pedorthic professionals.
- explain key issues related to working with people with disabilities.
- identify communication techniques for working with people with disabilities and their caregivers.
- prepare documents for Medicare and Medicaid billing specific to orthotic, prosthetic and pedorthic care.
- prepare patient files for orthotic, prosthetic and pedorthic professionals.
- use orthotic, prosthetic, and pedorthic terminology.
- use software for coding and billing developed for the orthotics, prosthetics, and pedorthics field.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)