Jun 13, 2021
RDNG 0950 - Strategies for College Reading Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: This course focuses on techniques for reading and studying textbooks in various college courses. Topics include effective learning and critical reading strategies for social sciences, sciences, technology, and the humanities. All students who register for RDNG 0950 also register for STSC 1021 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into RDNG 0950
Recommendation: Word processing proficiency and basic computer skills.
- Reading and Study Systems across Disciplines
- SQ3R (or its many relatives)
- Graphic Organizers
- Note Taking
- Learn and apply context clues
- Learn and apply Latin and Greek prefixes and roots
- Apply structural analysis to learn word meaning
- Learn and apply content-specific vocabulary
- Critical Reading
- Distinguish fact from opinion
- Identify denotative and connotative meaning
- Identify figurative language
- Identify bias/slant
- Recognize differences between reports, inferences, and judgments
- Identify and describe the context for a controversy or issue
- Identify the major argument or claim in a text
- Identify purpose, tone, and intent of author
- Identify and evaluate evidence offered in support of claims
- Identify the implications of a course of action or thinking
- Academic Collaboration
- Participate in class discussions and activities
- Present individual and group projects
- Reflect on reading topics and connect the themes to meaningful context in society
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- analyze a variety of texts to determine patterns of organization and claims and evidence.
- apply strategies to learn and use college vocabulary.
- choose an appropriate reading and study system to read and process college textbook material.
- determine the reliability and quality of evidence using critical reading techniques.
- develop strategies for reading research.
- summarize readings clearly and accurately.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)