Sep 25, 2020
SOLR 2025 - Photovoltaic Systems Lab Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course will cover the National Electrical Code (NEC) specifics concerning photovoltaic installationArticle 690. Code-compliant wiring of modules, inverters, charge controllers, and batteries will be explored. Students will plan and execute photovoltaic system installations.
Prerequisite(s): MATH 1015 , FACM 1030 , concurrent enrollment in SOLR 2020 , assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above, or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade C or higher.
- Tools required for PV system installation
- PPE required for PV system installation
- PV module mounting systems
- PV modules and related wiring
- PV inverters and related wiring
- PV charge controllers and related wiring
- Battery system wiring and maintenance
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- describe the tools required for PV system installation and their use.
- describe the PPE required for PV system installation and applications where it is required.
- describe the components in a PV system and their location in the system chain.
- locate applicable code requirements in the NEC for PV systems and battery systems.
- install a typical PV mounting system.
- mount and wire PV module strings.
- mount and wire a PV inverter.
- mount and wire a PV charge controller.
- perform PV System Maintenance and Troubleshooting.
- describe battery system containment vessels.
- wire a battery system for a standalone PV system.
- perform battery maintenance required for a PV battery system.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)